Cleaning a central heating system is fundamental to its health, and powerflushing is one of the most popular methods of cleaning a system due to the thorough clean it provides.
What is a Power
A Powerflush is a cleansing process specifically designed to get rid of boiler and radiator deposits like rust and any other debris that have built up over time inside your central heating system. These contaminants, also known as “sludge” by plumbing professionals, can lead to blockages and corrosion which adversely affect the efficiency of the system. In extreme cases, they can lead to a breakdown of the system.
Signs You Need a Powerflush
If you get your boiler serviced regularly (such as once a year), a preventative powerflush should only be necessary once every 5-6 years.
Here are a few tell-tale signs that you need a
- Your radiators remain cold even when the boiler is on
- Your tap water is cloudy, yellow, red, or orange
- You get dirty water when you bleed your radiators
- Some radiators are not heating up as well as others
- You’re planning to replace your boiler
- One or more radiators are cold at the bottom
- The boiler or radiators make a lot of noise
- The boiler cuts out from time to time
- Heating takes longer to warm up
- Some radiators are leaking
- You don’t get any water or air when you bleed the radiators
How long does a powerflush take?
This is determined by the age of your heating system, the number of radiators involved, and the stubbornness of the deposits. Generally, a
How a Powerflush Works
A pumping unit is connected to the central heating system. This unit combines a high flow with low pressure, which allows cleaning chemicals to circulate throughout the heating system. These chemicals flush away all the debris and sludge that have built up over the years. Descaling materials are flushed through the system to get rid of limescale.
Contaminated water is then removed from the system as part of the power flushing process. In extreme cases, the plumber may have to use tools to get rid of the deposits or blockages.
What Are the Benefits of a Powerflush?
Here are typical benefits of a
- Your radiators will get hotter, quicker
- It will increase the amount of heat being emitted from your radiators
- Your radiators and boiler will be less noisy
- Your hot water temperatures will be higher
- Your central heating system will be less likely to breakdown
- Your system will be more reliable and less likely to breakdown
- Your system will be more efficient, leading to cheaper energy bills
- It will extend the life of your heating system.